Anime Expo will impose a new policy that will require background check for; Volunteer, Employees, Panelist, Performers, Guest, Member of a guest’s or Performer’s Entourage, Artist Alley Participants, Exhibitors, Vendor, and Press. It will require them to submit the following before the application will be accepted.
Background Check with a third party company
Social Security Number
Eight training courses with certain groups needing to take different courses
(Press, Exhibitors and or Vendors are not required to take the courses, but are encouraged.)
The reasons for these drastic changes are due to The Anime Expo implementating the Youth Protection Program, a program run by AX partner, The Society of the Promotion of Japanese Animation (SPJA). The program was created to ensure a safe and secure Expo experience for all attendees especially the Children.
Even with this recent new policy that will take effect next year In a sense it will be good and bad.
- It will keep the children attendees safe and will make the con/expo a safe zone.
- It will also create a database that later on can be “shared” with other conventions.
- it will protect Anime Expo or said convention any liability or legal matter if said attacker does any advances or sexual intentions move to other attendees or child.
- this background check will only be for in convention only and will no way what so ever be enforced in hotel or parties.
- Background Check will either cost 40-50 dollars and all Employees, Volunteers, Guest of Honors, Guest of honor entourage, Press (included photographers).
- Background checks in convention, is not clear if they will share, same database to save attendees money.
- Background Check is ONLY VALID IN CONVENTION ONLY.
- Less and less people will attend convention due for an extra payment.
- Employees, Guest of Honor, Guest of honor Enteroge, press, and volunteers either don’t have a social security because they are out of the country, or they don’t feel safe releasing this information to a convention.
- Might increase identity thef to set attendee or etc.
In overall I think is a waste of time to implement the idea of a background check due that most attacks are done in hotel or in outside party.
“In my opinion, they should drop this idea of background checks and add more security in hotel surrounding the convention. Due that most attacks of sexyal intentions or druged are done more in the hotel sourrounding the convention. Also requesting background checks for Guest of honor that aren’t in the United States will take it more like an insult and less of a safety mesure. Lastly if AX adds this policy, they will see that their attendees count plumit due that they won’t come because they will be scared of the alianation. This is a convention we aren’t renting an apartment or getting any means that require this type of information.”
Source Anime News Network